Nepalese Vegetable Curry
This meal is inspired by my Mum, Irene who is a fantastic cook who knows how to get flavours just right. I aspire to cook like my Mum and have eaten her version of this meal but didn't have her recipe to hand. So I have amended the NZ Vegetarian Society's recipe here as I make it. You can check out their link to use their full recipe.
Ingredients - My Version
Enough olive oil to saute your onions and spices
2 onion, chopped
1 bay leaf, broken
½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 capsicum, chopped
1 chili or chili powder (to taste)
3-4 cloves garlic
A generous handful of root ginger grated
2 ½ teaspoon salt
½ tsp turmeric
Roughly chop 500g kumara (or potatoes), carrots, and pumpkin
½ cauliflower, cut into florets
2 tablespoons ground coriander (buy the seeds and use a grinder)
1 tablespoon cumin (buy the seeds and use a grinder)
- Heat oil and fry onion until golden brown.
- Add bay leaf, black pepper, capsicum, chili, garlic, ginger, salt, and turmeric - saute briefly.
- Stir in the veges and fry until they sweat a little.
- Add remaining ingredients and just enough hot water to cook the veges (but don't over do it).
- Cook gently until vegetables are tender and most of the moisture is absorbed.
- Serve on some brown rice.